Friday 17 May 2013

Cosmetic Surgery

None of us can deny the kind of world we live in. The world where people are made to feel like the way they were born is not the way they should stay because they aren't pretty enough/their nose is too big/their boobs are too small etc.  It's a world where cosmetic surgery is readily available for everyday people given they have the money to pay for it. I've never been dead set against having cosmetic surgery, but at the same time- I've never really been too pro it. When I look in the mirror, there are parts of my face and body that I don't like and it got me thinking and challenging myself about whether I think I would ever opt for the easy option of getting surgery to "correct" my flaws.
On the positive side, surgery can increase someone's confident by a million miles. We all know that feeling of seeing something in the mirror that we wish we could automatically alter or delete but can't. It's undeniable that having that hang-up taken care of and removed would be marvellous and so uplifting for you outlook on the who you are. It can also make someone happier in ways that therapy and learning to love a flaw can't do. It's a superficial reason but we live in a superficial world and so it's no surprise that people choose this option. If I had something that made me not want to look at myself fin the mirror or hate myself everyday, would I seriously think about surgery? Of course I would.

The risks are a big factor that would make me think twice about getting cosmetic surgery. Who knows whether you'll look better after the surgery or if it'l go wrong? Nobody but that's the risk you take when going in. I don't think I would have surgery unless it was negatively impacting on my life so badly that I didn't feel happy at all. I do not want to come out of surgery and look like this:
I appreciate these are extremes...

The cost is also a major factor- it's so expensive to change something about yourself that I think it's stupid to have small minor surgeries that you can live with and potentially make you who you are. One the whole, I think for now, I would not ever have surgery but then again I'm still young and healthy. Who knows what will come my way in the future that could change my mind abut cosmetic surgery? 


That's the thing, you can say all you want about cosmetic surgery and call people that do have cosmetic surgery every name under the sun but until you have the feelings of hatred and depression, who are we to judge others? It's a personal reason that most don't understand but just because we don't understand does not give us the right to get up on our high horse and look down on people who are just trying to seek happiness in life.

Do whatever makes you happy, that's what I say and if that's cosmetic surgery then great! Just be happy!

What are your views on cosmetic surgery? For? Against? Want to get it done? Never would you dream of changing yourself? Let me know, I'm intrigued about how publicised and "normal" cosmetic surgery  has become in our society to how it has impacted on people's perceptions and beliefs.

Lots of love,
Nicole.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment