Wednesday 24 July 2013

Monsters University Review

Yesterday afternoon, I went to see Monsters University; the prequel to Monsters Inc. I went into the cinema, as I always do with prequels/sequels, with a skeptical mind about whether or not this new film would ruin the brilliance of the first film but I came out with a smile on my face. It is rare that there is a film that can match up to the greatest of the original film but this turned out to be a gem in disguise. It had been 12 years since the very first film was released but boy was it worth the wait. Even  before the film came on, there was a cute little story called The Blue Umbrella that blew me away with how much emotion they packed into it. Most of the people were asking what the hell it was, but for me, it showcased all the magic that goes into melodies. It was a short video without words that had every brilliance just from the music that went with it.
Then the film started and it was cute little Mike Wazowski as a little boy and he was cute as a button. So small with such high hopes. I love how they slowly but surely merged the two films together entwining the story line to fit in with what would happen in the film to come. It was surprising by what they came up with in order to have the two protagonists meet and I was not expecting the turn they took. What really astounded me was the hundreds of new monsters that they had to create in order to fill an entire university. If it were me creating them all, they would all look the same but there were so many different looking ones that it made me wonder how extravagant the illustrator's minds were.
The main story obviously centered around the journey of Mike and Sulley through university in order to get into Monsters Inc which was where the first film started but there was more to just the story than that. It highlighted all the stereotypes of university and they weren't too far wrong. Besides the actual story, the brilliance of the illustrators and the small details blew me away. It was the small details of the exact sounds that added the icing onto the cake. There were the scattering of legs from one of the monsters that gave me the creeps and the winding of the camera in the background from one of the monster's mothers. There wasn't one frame that wasn't filled with amazing animation, hilarious and sharp jokes or spectacular use of music. It really shows why the film took so long to be produced and why I'm sure it'll be huge among both children, teenagers and adults alike.
It was those of the 80's and 90's that grew up with Monsters Inc, and many like me want to see it for the pure reason of reliving our childhood and hoping to capture some of the magic we felt when we watched the first film. It didn't disappoint me and I loved how it evoked such nostalgia inside of me. It made me excited but the only thing that was missing was the fact that it made me yearn for a sequel from Monsters Inc now. 

Both myself and my friend were torn between whether this film was as good or better than the first film. I'm still undecided but either way, it was amazing and a must see. I would recommend it to everyone and hope that they like it too. 

Like Disney, Pixar never fail to amaze me and I think this is just another film to add to their huge collection of successful films. It encompasses the beauty of animated films and for every other animation out there, they could learn a lot about making films from Pixar.

I love it!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment